The entrance to your home, commonly known as the front door, serves as both a gateway and an opportunity to enhance the visual appeal of your property. By investing in new and attractive traditional or contemporary front doors, you can quickly enhance the exterior appearance of your home and achieve a significant return on your investment. A simple yet effective way to elevate your front door is by applying a vibrant or distinctive colour, making a captivating statement.
There are numerous front door options to explore if you’re in the market for a completely new entryway. The ideal choice of exterior door for your home will depend on your house’s design and your individual taste.
Below are some popular contemporary front door styles and trends you may want to consider.
Contemporary Front Door: Material Types
When selecting a contemporary front door style, it’s essential to consider various factors. These include materials, durability, home design, personal style, and budget. Here are some of the commonly used materials for front doors:
- Wood: Wood is a classic and versatile option that offers a warm and traditional look. It can be painted to match your desired aesthetic. However, wood doors require regular maintenance to protect them from weathering and may be more susceptible to warping or rotting.
- Fibreglass: Fiberglass doors are known for their durability and low maintenance. They can mimic the look of wood but are more resistant to wear and tear, cracking, and warping. Fibreglass doors are also energy-efficient and can withstand various weather conditions.
- Steel: Steel doors are highly secure and offer excellent durability. They resist shrinking, warping, and cracking and provide good insulation. Steel doors can be painted in different colours and styles, and they are typically more affordable than wood or fibreglass doors.
- Aluminum: Aluminum doors are lightweight, durable, and resistant to corrosion. They are commonly used in contemporary and modern designs. While aluminum doors are low maintenance, they may provide less insulation than other materials.
- Glass: Glass doors or doors with glass inserts can add elegance to your entryway and allow natural light to enter your entryway. However, they may require additional privacy measures and could be less energy-efficient than solid doors.
- Wrought Iron: Wrought iron doors exude a timeless and elegant appeal. They are known for their intricate designs and sturdy construction. Wrought iron doors are highly durable and provide excellent security. They can be customized with different finishes and glass inserts to complement architectural styles. However, they may require periodic maintenance to prevent rusting and fading.
- Composite: Composite doors blend different materials, typically wood, fibreglass, and PVC. These doors offer the best of both worlds, combining the aesthetics of wood with the durability and low maintenance of fibreglass or PVC. Composite doors are resistant to weathering, warping, and fading. They provide good insulation, and you can paint them in various colours to suit your preferences. Learn more about the differences between wood and composite front doors.
Let us introduce some of the most popular contemporary front doors you may want to use for your entryway and make your home front look stunning.
Barn Front Doors With the Taste of Modernity
Barn doors, famous for their modern country charm, have a rich history rooted in the countryside of the Netherlands. These doors made their way to colonial America through Dutch immigrants, bringing their unique designs. Also known as dairy, stable, double-hung, split, or half doors offer a distinct and versatile front door style.
One of the notable features of barn doors is their ability to keep the top part open while keeping the bottom part closed. This feature was handy for farmers who needed to let in a breeze while ensuring the safety and confinement of animals. The practicality and functionality of barn doors have contributed to their enduring popularity.
Today, barn doors have evolved beyond their agricultural origins and have become a sought-after design element in homes. They can add a rustic yet contemporary touch to any interior or exterior space. By incorporating unique colours like teal paint, barn doors can create a striking focal point that draws attention and adds personality to a home’s entrance.
Whether you’re looking to embrace the historical roots of these doors or want to introduce a touch of countryside charm, barn doors offer a captivating and functional front door option that can enhance the overall aesthetic of your home.
Wood Panelled Contemporary Front Doors
Wood-panelled contemporary front doors offer a blend of natural warmth and modern design. These doors typically feature clean lines, minimal ornamentation, and the timeless beauty of wood. Here are some characteristics and design ideas for wood-panelled contemporary front doors:
- Horizontal or Vertical Paneling: Contemporary front doors often showcase sleek, flush panels. You can choose between horizontal or vertical panelling depending on your desired aesthetic. Horizontal panels create a more modern look, while vertical panels evoke a sense of height and elegance.
- Flush or Recessed Panels: Opt for doors with flush or recessed panels to maintain a streamlined and minimalist appearance. Flush panels are flat and smooth, while recessed panels have a slightly indented or grooved design. Both options contribute to a contemporary feel.
- Wood Species and Finishes: Select high-quality wood species for your front door, such as mahogany, walnut, or teak. These woods offer durability and natural beauty. Consider finishes that enhance the grain and texture of the wood, such as a clear sealant or a light stain that allows the natural colour to shine through.
- Limited Decorative Details: Contemporary design emphasizes simplicity and minimal ornamentation. Avoid excessive decorative details on the door itself. Instead, focus on the clean lines and smooth surfaces of the wood panels.
- Accentuated Hardware: The hardware you choose can enhance the contemporary style of the door. Opt for modern and sleek handles, knobs, or pulls in finishes like brushed nickel, stainless steel, or matte black. These elements can provide a striking contrast against the wood panels.
- Glass Inserts: To add a touch of contemporary flair, consider incorporating glass inserts into the wood-panelled door. Frosted or textured glass can provide privacy while allowing natural light to filter through. Place the glass strategically within the panelling for visual interest.
- Statement Pivot Door: Consider a pivot front door design if you want to make a bold statement. This type of door rotates on a central pivot point, creating a dramatic and modern entrance. Wood panelling can enhance the overall contemporary aesthetic of a pivot door.
Pure Modern Front Doors
When exploring modern front door designs, one notable trend is incorporating geometric details and large panes of glass. These elements add visual interest and allow abundant natural light to filter into the entryway, creating a bright and inviting atmosphere. The use of sleek lines and clean shapes further enhances the modern aesthetic.
Colour choices also play a crucial role in modern front door design. While neutral shades like black and tan are often preferred for their timeless and sophisticated appeal, there is a growing trend toward bold and vibrant hues. Colours such as pink, royal blue, black, and yellow are gaining popularity, injecting a burst of personality and modernity into the home’s exterior.
In addition to colour, modern front door trends include experimenting with oversized doors that make a striking statement and become a focal point of the facade. Another trend involves exploring non-traditional hardware options for door handles, allowing for unique and customized touches to elevate the modern look.
Contemporary Front Doors With Etched Glass
Modern front doors with etched glass often combine sleek, contemporary designs with the elegant touch of etched glass. Etched glass refers to glass that has been treated with acid or other abrasive materials to create decorative patterns, designs, or textures. These doors can enhance the curb appeal of a home while allowing natural light to filter through the glass. Here are a few examples of modern front doors with etched glass:
- Full-Length Etched Glass Door: This style features a full-length glass panel that extends from the top to the bottom of the door, incorporating an etched design into the glass. The door is typically made of wood, metal, or fibreglass, providing a sturdy and secure entrance.
- Partial Etched Glass Door: In this design, a portion of the front door is made of etched glass, while the remaining sections are solid or have other decorative elements. This creates a visually striking contrast between the opaque and translucent areas of the door.
- Frosted Glass Door: Frosted glass is another popular choice for modern front doors. It provides privacy while allowing diffused light to enter the space. Frosted glass can be etched with various patterns, such as geometric shapes or organic motifs, to add a modern touch to the door’s appearance.
- Modern Double Front Doors with Etched Glass Inserts: Double doors create an impressive entryway, and incorporating etched glass inserts adds an extra touch of elegance. The etched glass can be used in various configurations surrounding the main doors, such as sidelights or transoms.
- Custom Etched Glass Designs: Homeowners can work with a glass artist or designer for a truly unique front door to create custom etched glass designs. This allows for personalized patterns, motifs, or even specific images to be incorporated into the glass, making the front door a stunning focal point.
Modern Farmhouse Front Doors
Modern farmhouse front doors are popular for homeowners seeking a blend of contemporary and rustic elements. These doors typically feature clean lines, natural materials, and subtle yet charming details. Here are some characteristics and design ideas for modern farmhouse front doors:
- Wood and Glass Combination: A common feature of modern farmhouse doors is the combination of wood and glass. These doors often have a solid wood frame with glass inserts or windows to allow natural light to enter the space. Clear or frosted glass panels can be used, depending on the desired level of privacy.
- X or Z Crossbars: Adding crossbars in an “X” or “Z” pattern to the door design is a characteristic of the modern farmhouse style. These crossbars can be incorporated into the glass panels or applied as decorative elements on the door’s surface.
- Shaker or Beaded Panels: Shaker-style or beaded panels are often used in modern farmhouse front doors. These panels provide texture and depth to the door while maintaining a clean and simple aesthetic.
- Sliding Barn Doors: For a distinctive farmhouse touch, consider sliding barn doors as the front entry. These entry doors are typically made of wood and feature hardware that allows them to slide open and close along a track. They can be customized with various finishes, stains, and hardware options to suit your preferred farmhouse style.
- Earthy Colors and Finishes: Modern farmhouse front doors often showcase earthy tones such as whites, grays, blacks, and natural wood stains. These colours complement the farmhouse aesthetic and create a warm and inviting entryway. Consider using finishes that highlight the natural texture of the wood, such as distressed or reclaimed wood.
- Statement Hardware: Choose statement hardware for your front door to enhance the farmhouse charm. Consider using rustic handles, knobs, or hinges in finishes like wrought iron or antique bronze.
Combination of Craftsman and Contemporary Front Doors
A mixture of Craftsman and contemporary front doors combine the timeless charm and craftsmanship of Craftsman style with the sleek lines and modern elements of contemporary design. This fusion can create a unique and visually appealing entrance to your home. Here are some ideas and characteristics for a Craftsman-contemporary front door:
- Craftsman Door Elements: Incorporate classic Craftsman design elements into the door, such as:
- Panelling: Craftsman doors typically feature vertical or horizontal panelling. Choose a design with clean lines and recessed or raised panels.
- Wood Construction: Craftsman doors are commonly made of wood, emphasizing natural materials and the warmth they bring. Look for quality wood species like oak, mahogany, or fir.
- Artistic Glass Inserts: Craftsman-style doors often feature decorative glass inserts with geometric patterns or nature-inspired motifs. Stained glass or leaded glass can add an extra touch of authenticity.
- Clean and Simple Lines: Contemporary design is known for its clean lines and minimal ornamentation. Opt for a door design with simple, straight lines and a sleek profile. Avoid excessive decorative details that might detract from the clean aesthetic.
- Mixed Materials: Combine wood with other materials, such as metal or glass, to add contemporary elements to the Craftsman style. For example, you could have a wood door with metal accents, such as metal strips or hardware, or incorporate glass panels alongside the wood.
- Neutral Color Palette: Choose a colour palette that reflects both Craftsman and contemporary aesthetics. Neutral tones, such as shades of gray, brown, or black, work well to create a harmonious balance between the two styles. Consider finishes that enhance the natural beauty of the wood, such as stains or clear sealants.
- Minimalist Hardware: Opt for simple, sleek hardware that complements the contemporary style. Choose handles, knobs, or pulls with clean lines and a modern finish, such as brushed nickel or matte black. Avoid ornate or elaborate hardware that may clash with the overall design.
- Sidelights and Transom Windows: Consider incorporating sidelights or a transom window alongside the front door to enhance the visual appeal and let in more natural light. These additions can further blend Craftsman and contemporary elements, primarily if they feature geometric or modern patterns in the glass.
Ornate Style Contemporary Front Doors With Glass
Ornate-style contemporary front doors with glass offer a fusion of intricate detailing and modern design elements. These doors blend the charm of ornate aesthetics with the clean lines and minimalist approach of contemporary style. Here are some characteristics and design ideas for ornate-style contemporary front doors with glass:
- Intricate Carvings or Scrollwork: Incorporate ornate details such as carvings or scrollwork into the door design. These can be applied to the wood frame or panels, adding a touch of elegance and complexity to the overall look.
- Stained or Leaded Glass: Use stained or leaded glass inserts to enhance the ornate style. These glass options can feature intricate patterns, motifs, or even custom designs, adding a decorative element to the door while allowing natural light to filter through.
- Curved or Arched Designs: Consider a curved or arched door design to complement the ornate style. Arched tops or curved edges can add a graceful and sophisticated touch to the front door.
- Mixed Materials: Combine different materials to achieve a contemporary twist—for example, pair ornate wood detailing with sleek metal accents or glass panels. The combination of materials adds visual interest and showcases the fusion of styles.
- Finishes and Colors: Ornate-style doors often feature rich finishes and colours. Choose deep stains like mahogany or cherry to highlight the wood’s natural beauty. Consider complementing the ornate detailing with contrasting paint colours or metallic finishes on the metal accents.
- Decorative Hardware: Select the hardware that complements the ornate style while maintaining a contemporary feel. Look for handles, knobs, or hinges with intricate designs or embellishments. Choose finishes that align with the overall design, such as antique brass or bronze.
- Symmetry and Balance: Ornate styles often emphasize symmetry and balance. Incorporate balanced patterns or mirrored designs on the door panels or glass inserts to create a sense of harmony.
Arc Top Modern Front Door: Luxurious Choice
An arc-top modern front door is a luxurious choice that can make a grand statement for your home’s entrance. This style combines the elegance and sophistication of an arched design with the sleek and contemporary elements of modern architecture. Here are some characteristics and reasons why an arc-top modern front door is a luxurious choice:
- Architectural Focal Point: The arched door design creates a striking focal point that immediately draws attention and adds a sense of grandeur to your home’s facade. It sets the stage for a grand and welcoming entrance.
- Unique and Customizable Designs: Arc top modern front doors offer endless possibilities for customization. You can choose from various materials, finishes, glass options, and decorative details to create a one-of-a-kind door that reflects your style and complements the architectural aesthetic of your home.
- Premium Materials: Luxury front doors are often crafted from high-quality materials such as metal, solid wood, or fibreglass. These materials offer durability, longevity, and a luxurious feel. Consider exotic woods like mahogany, or walnut or sleek metal finishes like bronze or stainless steel.
- Sleek and Clean Lines: Modern design is characterized by clean lines and minimal ornamentation. The arched top and sleek, straight lines of modern architecture create a beautiful contrast that exudes luxury and sophistication.
- High-Quality Hardware: A luxurious arc-top modern front door is often accompanied by premium hardware that adds to its overall appeal. Choose high-end handles, knobs, hinges, and other hardware in finishes like polished chrome, brushed nickel, or brass to elevate the luxurious feel of the door.
- The Abundance of Natural Light: Incorporating glass panels or inserts into the top arc design allows natural light to flow into your entryway, creating an inviting and warm ambiance. For privacy, consider using frosted or textured glass while maintaining an elegant aesthetic.
- Statement-Making Entrance: An arc-top modern front door makes a powerful statement and creates a memorable first impression for your guests. It adds a touch of luxury and refinement to your home’s overall exterior, enhancing its curb appeal and value.
Contemporary Front Doors Made From Metal
Contemporary front doors made from metal offer a sleek, modern, and often minimalist aesthetic. Metal doors provide durability, security, and a unique visual appeal. Here are some characteristics and design ideas for contemporary front doors made from metal:
- Minimalist Design: Contemporary metal front doors often feature clean lines and minimal ornamentation. The focus is on simplicity, sleekness, and a smooth and streamlined appearance.
- Metal Types: Various types of metal can be used for contemporary front doors, including steel, aluminum, and wrought iron. Each metal offers its characteristics regarding strength, weight, and finish options.
- Monolithic or Paneled: Metal doors can be designed as monolithic slabs or with panelled construction. Monolithic doors have a single solid piece of metal, creating a seamless and minimalist look. Panelled doors feature metal panels or sections arranged in different configurations, adding visual interest and texture.
- Frosted or Textured Glass Inserts: Incorporating glass elements into a metal door can enhance its contemporary appeal. Consider using frosted or textured glass inserts to balance privacy and natural light transmission. The glass can be integrated into the door as a full-length panel, sidelights, or transoms.
- Bold Colors and Finishes: Metal doors offer versatility in colours and finishes. Consider bold and vibrant colours like black, gray, bronze, or custom hues to make a statement. Additionally, metallic finishes like brushed or polished stainless steel can provide a sleek and reflective appearance.
- Geometric Patterns and Cutouts: To add a touch of creativity and uniqueness, consider incorporating geometric patterns or cutouts in the metal door. These patterns can be laser-cut or etched onto the metal, allowing light to filter through and creating intriguing visual effects.
- Contemporary Hardware: Choose contemporary hardware that complements the metal door’s style. Sleek and minimalist handles, knobs, and hinges in finishes like brushed nickel or matte black can further enhance the modern aesthetic.
- Energy Efficiency: To ensure energy efficiency, consider insulated metal doors with weatherstripping to minimize heat transfer and maintain indoor comfort.